Jekyll Island lies just south of our beloved St. Simons.
It is the smallest of Georgia’s major sea islands, is 10 miles long and one and one-half miles wide at its widest point.
In 1950, the Jekyll Island-State Park Authority was established by the State of Georgia to govern and manage the island. The Jekyll Island Authority serves as steward of the island, overseeing all natural areas and commercial operations of the island.
In 1886, it was purchased by a group of millionaires for use as an exclusive, private retreat known as “The Jekyll Island Club.”
In 1886, Jekyll was purchased for use as a winter resort by a group of northern millionaires and companies including:
- the Rockefeller
- Aston, Baker
- and Bliss families.
The State of Georgia purchased the Island from the Jekyll Island Club in 1947 for use as state park.
This part of Jekyll is now the Historic District. The causeway and bridge were built in 1954, allowing easy access for the general public to enjoy year round recreational activities.
The Authority oversees the operation. It provides maintenance and promotion of the island’s amenities and Historic District. It oversees municipal services for the island’s residential community, 10 hotels, rental cottages and businesses.
The Authority operates various amenities.
- the Historic District
- 63 holes of golf
- tennis center
- miniature golf
- bike rental
- Summer Waves Waterpark,
- An oceanfront soccer complex
- 55,000 square foot Convention Center
- and a campground
The Authority provides a fire department/emergency medical service and maintains several public picnic areas, beach crossovers, bike paths, a boat ramp, and a small airstrip.